What is consignment?
When you agree to consign your items to a shop, you’re a consignor. You maintain title to your possessions but give the rights to sell these items to Keys to the Attic, which is the consignee. You receive the agreed-upon monetary return after the goods are sold … if they are sold. That’s consignment in a nutshell.
Specifics of consigning with Keys to the Attic are clearly outlined in our consignment policies, which will spell out the monetary return, length of consignment period, price-reduction policies, and so on.
A more detailed definition of consignment can be found here: Wikipedia – Definition of Consignment.
What are the benefits of consignment?
- Satisfaction of being “green” by selling your stuff to be reused or repurposed by others instead of ending up in a landfill.
- Year round “spring cleaning” – the opportunity to make money from furniture and items that you no longer want or need.
- We do all the work! You drop your items off and we display them attractively and take care of advertising and marketing in the attempt to sell for the best price that we can.
- Satisfaction of being “green” by buying previously gently used items that would, otherwise, end up in a landfill.
- Every item is different and unique, making each purchase unique, as well.
- Awesome opportunity to refurbish and redesign to your heart’s content.
- Affordable prices!
Will you just buy my stuff out right and eliminate the consignment part?
Currently, Keys to the Attic does not buy inventory out right. All items must be accepted through our application process. Please see our What is Consignment? page for a broader definition of consignment and how it pertains to Keys to the Attic.
In simple language, how can I consign at Keys to the Attic?
In simple language, the following statements give an overview of consigning with Keys to the Attic. A more comprehensive document, fully outlining our terms of agreement, can be found at the end of the consignment application.
- Contact usto set up an appointment to drop off your items.
- Furniture and items that are accepted for consignment will be held for a total of 90 days (approximately 3 months).
- Within the first 30 days (1st month), items will be for sale at a price designated by Keys to the Attic.
- Within the next 30 days (2nd month), items will be sold at a 25% discount from the original price. There are no exceptions.
- Within the final 30 days (3rd month), items will be sold at a 50% discount from the original price. There are no exceptions.
- After 90 days, the consignor (customer) will be contacted, after which they will have 7 days to pick up any unsold items.
- If the items are not picked up within the defined expiration date, the items automatically become the property of Keys to the Attic to be donated to an appropriate non-profit organization that benefits the local community.
- The final sale price for furniture and items is split 50/50 with Keys to the Attic, meaning that you get 50% and the Attic gets 50% of the final sale price. Please note, that the split is based on the actual price that the item is sold at … not the price that the item was originally listed for.
- A check will then be mailed to you within 7 days of your contract expiration date, or you can get your check if you choose to pick up any unsold items.
That’s it! It’s all so easy 🙂
Will you take anything that I give you for consignment?
Items selected for consignment are based on what we think can be resold. We are more than happy to suggest local thrift stores for items that we will not accept.
Can I just drop things off?
No. All drop-offs are accepted by appointment only. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. Also, regardless of appointment, no items will be placed for sale without a signed application stating that you understand our selling policies and procedures. Not to worry, though … our terms of agreement are pretty simple.
Bring your items to the store (directions) at your alloted appointment time. We will go through your items, for which you MUST be present, and choose which ones to accept for consignment. Any items that are not accepted must leave with you. We reserve the right to refuse any items, at any time, for any reason. We do NOT pick items up, nor do we review any items at any location, other than the Keys to the Attic address. Should you need transport for your items, please review our Pick Up and Delivery page for options. Items must be clean and in sellable condition upon drop off. We will not accept items that are dirty, soiled, moldy or smell of nicotine, pets or mothballs.
Will Keys to the Attic pick up or deliver?
At this time, Keys to the Attic does not provide pick up or delivery service. However, we do partner with several reputable drivers that we would be more than happy to recommend and put you in contact with.